Saturday, April 19, 2008

A @#**%ing Wikipedia Adventure

It's true. If you're one of those people who consistently look up off-color terms on line and in the dictionary, then you may already know. Wikipedia has an article on the word fuck.

How did I come across this topic? Well....the paper that I'm currently reading (and was cited in my last post) mentioned that "It [Wikipedia] has even been used in United States litigation, when in July 2003, a Wikipedia article on profanity was cited in a motion to dismiss a case in a Colorado court" (5). Just like any good researcher, Andrew Lih footnoted his reference, so I looked it up: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/fword1.html.

Wow. If Wikipedia convinced a Colardo court, what else/who else is it going to convince?

(BTW, for more information on Andrew Lih, there's a writer I came across who was one of his colleagues at Columbia. Lih came highly recommended: "He's been using Wikipedia as part of his journalistic work and his teaching./Andrew and I taught the advanced new media classes at Columbia for several years, so I trust him on all things technological. Since he is one of the world's top experts on new media, if he was praising Wikipedia, it had to be good." You'll find this quote along with excerpts from the article I'm reading at

http://www.poynter.org/dg.lts/id.32/aid.62126/column.htm.)

The shape of wisdom is changing!

No comments: